Skip to content

The Horse Trust says goodbye to heroic Merseyside Police horse Sherwin

The Horse Trust has sadly said goodbye to Sherwin, who worked with the Merseyside Police Mounted Section for 12 years before retiring to the Buckinghamshire sanctuary in January 2008.

18-year-old Sherwin, a 17hh grey gelding, had been involved in policing high-profile events such as the Liverpool FC victory parade after its Champions League victory in 2005 and protecting the winning horse of the Grand National. He even played a part in the rescue of an 11-year-old boy who was choking to death.

Lindsay Gaven, Stable Manager at Merseyside Police, said she was sad to hear about his death.   “It’s so sad – we will all miss him terribly,” said Lindsay. “Sherwin was a beautiful, imposing horse who attracted attention from the public wherever he went. He was such a big character and kept us all entertained when he worked here.”

Claire Clark, Sherwin’s groom at The Horse Trust, agreed with Lindsay that Sherwin was a big character who would never be forgotten.

“I’m absolutely devastated that I’ve lost him – I loved him to bits,” said Claire. “He was always such a gentleman, but was also a character. He loved pulling faces – he would pretend he was grumpy, but then nuzzle you for attention.”

Soon after he arrived in December 2008, Sherwin became good friends with Breeze, a retired pony from the Horse Rangers Association and fellow police horse Barkis, who had served the people of Greater Manchester for many years.  Sadly both his best friends passed away in November 2010 and Sherwin has now joined them in the green pastures in the sky.

Highlights of Sherwin’s career for the Merseyside Police include escorting the Liverpool FC team on their victory parade through the streets of Liverpool after winning the Champions League in 2005. He was one of four horses that led Hedgehunter, the winner of the Grand National 2005, from the course to the winner’s enclosure in a protective formation.

He was also involved in the rescue of an 11-year-old boy, Anthony Bridge, who was choking to death. PC Ian Carmichael, a mounted officer for the Merseyside Police who rode Sherwin for two years, said: “I was riding Sherwin along a dual carriageway in Allerton when a vehicle stopped with a woman screaming for help. Sherwin stood there patiently on a very busy road while I gave the boy mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.”

Sherwin retired to The Horse Trust’s Home of Rest for Horses in Speen, Buckinghamshire when he could no longer be ridden due to Osteoarthritis. As well as arthritis, Sherwin suffered from liver failure. Last month, staff at The Horse Trust made the difficult decision to euthanase Sherwin as he no longer had an acceptable quality of life.

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top