16.1hh Bay Mare born in 2006
Audrey is a very sweet 16.1hh bay mare who has been retired to us following a diagnosis of kissing spines, which means she can no longer be ridden and needs a slower pace of life .
Audrey has had a varied and colourful career, including:
- Winning ‘Mounted Skill At Arms’ and ‘Tentpegging’ competitions on behalf of the RLC (Royal Logistics Corps) and Army at venues including Royal Windsor Horse Show.
- Taking part in Living History Displays and Army Battlefield Studies, she was the only horse to have ever led a mounted contingent through the Menin Gate in living memory!
- Travelling in an original horse-drawn ambulance at two Horse Trust open days.
- Promoting the RLC Mounted Sports Club at RLC Open Days, leading the team every year in the Skill At Arms Display.
- Featuring in our WW1 100th Anniversary Memorial Day in 2018, which was attended by HRH The Princess Royal!
The Horse Trust has strong ties to the First World War, as we had the honour of retiring the legendary San Toy in 1919. You can read more about our wonderful history here.
Audrey has also enjoyed plenty of hedge-hopping and cross country outings in her downtime, and will be very missed by the RLC.